In support of National Cybersecurity Awareness month, Bank of Southern California is providing twelve techniques for keeping your mobile device safe and secure. Smart phones provide convenient access to personal email, bank and social media accounts. Unfortunately, they can also provide the same convenient access for criminals.
To help keep you and your personal information secure, Bank of Southern California has prepared the following tips:
- Use the passcode lock on your smartphone and other devices. This will make it more difficult for thieves to access your information if your device is lost or stolen.
- Log out completely when you finish a mobile banking session.
- Protect your phone from viruses and malicious software by installing mobile security software.
- Use caution when downloading apps. Apps can contain malicious software, worms, and viruses. Beware of bogus apps that feature simulated ad interactions, display intentionally misleading buttons or ask for unnecessary permissions.
- Download the updates for your phone and mobile apps.
- Avoid storing sensitive information like passwords or a Social Security number on your phone.
- Tell your bank immediately if you change your phone number or lose your mobile device.
- Be aware of shoulder surfers. The most basic form of information theft is observation. Be aware of your surroundings especially when you’re entering sensitive information.
- Wipe your mobile device before you donate, sell or trade it, using specialized software or the manufacturer’s recommended technique.
- Beware of mobile phishing. Avoid opening links and attachments in emails and texts, especially from senders you don’t know.
- Watch out for public Wi-Fi. Public connections aren’t very secure, so don’t perform banking transactions on a public network. If you need to access your account, try disabling the Wi-Fi and switching to your mobile network.
- Report any suspected fraud to your bank immediately.
COMMITMENT YOU CAN BANK ON
Bank of Southern California is committed to providing resources to help keep our clients’ assets safe and secure. To learn more about how to grow and protect your business, call 858.847.4780 or visit us in person at one of our many offices conveniently located throughout Southern California.